About Me

I am a wife, mother, sister, daughter, teacher, student and my cup runneth over...

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Eulogy

As many of you know, my mother's mother passed away recently. As you may also know, most of our family came down with the flu. It made for one heck of a week (or two). Anyway, while the minister was giving the eulogy I thought about all the "Grandma Jean stories" I've heard about (and experienced) over the years. I realized that I should have written a eulogy for her. Had I not been so sick with the flu, this thought might have occurred to me in time to give the eulogy at the funeral. But, better late than never, right? So here we go....

We are gathered here to celebrate the life of Phylis Jean Adams. As you all know, Jean loved to tell stories, and she did so often. So I'll begin with a pretty incredible one. Jean was born in 1926 in Pennsylvania. She was born at home, 3 months premature, and weighing only a few pounds. Since it was winter in Pennsylvania, her parents were concerned about Jean getting too cold. She was too small for regular clothes and diapers, so they wrapped her in a handkerchief and put her in a cigar box. The cigar box served as her bassinet and they put over the furnace. I think that it is quite possible that Jean had the very first incubator. She was a fighter from the beginning, so three years ago when she was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer, we were not surprised when she said that she was not going to let it stop her from doing what she loved. Of course it didn't. She still played in her card games, she still went with her Road Runners club and of course, she still went shopping.

When I think of Grandma Jean, I think of shopping. I remember going to her house on Saturday mornings with my mom. My brother would stay with Grandpa Dewey and the "girls" would all go shopping. That woman could shop and shop and shop and shop. Her favorite place to go was the mall, but she really just liked to "go". Although she loved to shop, like many people from her generation, she was a fervent saver. I remember her and my grandfather saying "watch your pennies and the dollars will watch themselves." She really lived that advice and never paid full price for anything. She had a special gift for finding sales wherever she went.

When I think of Grandma Jean, I also think of left turns. You see my grandma never liked to make left turns. In fact, she had figured out how to get around Atlanta and Decatur without ever making a left turn. She made rights and circles, but no lefts. One Atlanta Police Department Officer found this out on September 11, 2001. Grandma was trying to get home (from shopping, I'm sure!) and wanted to make a right turn by the CDC. Of course, the no one could get near the CDC for fear of more attacks. The police officer told her she could not turn right and she'd have to make a left. Grandma went around and around in circles until the police officer stopped her and asked why she wasn't going home. "I TOLD you, I don't MAKE left turns!" she curtly replied. Somehow she made it home. I wouldn't be surprised if she got the officer to let her pass.

Most of all, when I think of Grandma Jean, I think about her spirit. She was feisty. She knew what she wanted and she'd let you know. She didn't like to be told "No" and she didn't like to be left at home. She liked to be in the middle of the action, and she loved a good party. That is why it is a shame she couldn't be here to enjoy all her friends and family gathering in her memory. She would have loved this party, and she would have loved for it to be all about her. :) She is not on this earth anymore, but she is certainly here in spirit. So, here is to you grandma! We look forward to seeing you again one day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment